The Asia Pacific Alliance for the Control of Influenza (APACI) is a not for profit organization, consisting of leading international experts in influenza and other respiratory diseases, representing the countries of Asia-Pacific.
APACI’s primary mission is to reduce the burden of influenza in the Asia-Pacific. However, since the arrival of COVID-19, its mission has grown to include all infectious respiratory diseases. It aims to do this by enhancing control measures and boosting pandemic preparedness in the region.
APACI’s objectives are to:
- Identify and develop activities that complement the World Health Organization (WHO) Global Agenda on Influenza Surveillance and Control.
- Assist the development of country-specific public awareness programs on influenza, Covid, and pneumococcal disease.
- Promote influenza awareness among healthcare professionals in the region.
- Provide educational resources to support influenza awareness activities.
- Assist the process of establishing or reviewing country-specific recommendations for infectious respiratory disease prevention and control.
- Facilitate the timely access to, and supply of, appropriate vaccines and antiviral medications.
One of the early goals of APACI was to facilitate the development of Influenza Foundations (or similar groups) in every Asia-Pacific country. It is intended that, over time, each foundation will be interlinked, utilising a comprehensive communication and education network. Currently there are Influenza Foundations in India, Indonesia & Thailand, with similar groups in The Philippines, China, Malaysia & Vietnam.
APACI publishes a Media Bulletin (3 days a week), a monthly Journal Alert, and a quarterly Asia-Pacific Influenza Newsletter. Subscriptions to all publications are free.
APACI holds regular international meetings and workshops throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Membership of APACI is available to anyone who can demonstrate a genuine interest and commitment to the enhancement of control of infectious respiratory diseases in the Asia-Pacific region. Members now come from: Australia, Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong SAR and Taiwan SAR), India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Oman, Singapore, South Korea, The Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. Membership is free and includes an invitation to attend APACI’s Annual General Meeting, along voting rights.
APACI website: www.apaci.asia